A Guide to the 2013 ASUW Elections Policies and Procedures (Alternative Title: OMG EPP)

Hello Everyone,

It is with great excitement that I announce that the 2013 ASUW Elections Policies and Procedures was passed last night by the Board of Directors with a unanimous vote (which you can find in its official form at tinyurl.com/epp2013)! I am going to briefly outline some of the changes you can look forward to:

A few of the major content changes:

• No food giveaways.
    The language: “No ticket, candidate, ballot measure, volunteer, or af´Čüliate may distribute food or drink in coordination with a campaign for campaigning.”
    What this means: For the entire month of campaigning, as well as the three days of voting, candidates, and any individuals associated with ASUW campaigns, will no longer be able to give out cotton candy, soda, etc. The “affiliate” language also strives to address the potential of the creation of a “Super PAC” as a way around this restriction. However, the “for campaigning” language was added to make it clear that candidates would not be penalized if they engaged in an activity such as buying a bag of chips for a volunteer, where there was no clear intent to solicit votes.
  • The first day of campaigning will begin at 12:01 a.m.
    The language: “Campaigning will not begin before 12:01 a.m. Friday, April 12, 2013.
    What this means: In contrast with previous elections, where campaigning began at 6:00 a.m, campaigning will now be allowed to begin the minute Friday arrives. This change was made in an effort to increase internal consistency of the EPP, as every other time specified was at either 12:00, or 5:00.
  • There are two new titles, and one title has been removed.
    The language
    : there is now a “Definitions” title, as well as a “Special Elections” title. The title “Required Enclosures” was moved into the “Miscellaneous” title.
    What this means: For the “Definitions” title, this means that there will be increased clarity for some potentially ambiguous terms, such as “affiliate” or “independent.” For the “Special Elections” title, there is now an outlined procedure for how a Special Election would be run. Special Elections are extremely rare, however, the Board felt the rarity made it even more vital that the process be conducted with transparency and objectivity. The reassignment of the “Required Enclosures” title was an organizational change only, and will have no impact on how the content of that section is interpreted.

A few technical changes:

• More inclusive language (gender-neutral pronouns!)
  • Page numbers
  • Updated the dates to reflect the 2013 calendar
  • Complete rearrangement of titles
  • Rearrangement of many sections within titles
  • New font

Lauren (the Judicial Committee Secretary of Recommendations), Maxine (Elections Administration Committee Chair), and myself with the 2013 EPP

Director of Policy and Procedures

About Director of Policy and Procedures

Hello, I'm Evelina Vaisvilaite, Director of Policy and Procedures for 2013-2014.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>