Monthly Archives: October 2012

Week 3 – Week 5

Hello Huskies!

Thank you once again for tuning in to the Director of Community Relations! Here are the exciting things that I have been working very diligently on:

Homecoming Royalty 2012 – 2013

This year was an exceptionally difficult year for the Homecoming Royalty Scholarship selection committee because we received a fantastic turn out of 90 applications! After reviewing each application we have come to a close and our Homecoming Royalty 2012 – 2013 are: (*Drumroll*)

Bryan Dosono, Homecoming Royalty

Shelby Handler, Homecoming Royalty

Amanda Anderson, Homecoming Court

Marnie Brown, Homecoming Court

Christine Ito, Homecoming Court

Louie Tran, Homecoming Court

Homecoming Royalty 2012-2013

Committee on Student Safety 

BE A HERO! Apply to the Committee on Student Safety and be apart of the organization that is partnered with UWPD that is dedicated to improving the safety on campus. With the growing crime on and off campus be on the front lines to help generate solutions to theses issues.

Apply here: 

Campus Sustainability Fund Appointments 

• Willie Franklin
  • Joshua Redhair
  • Sunni Wissmer

Environmental Sustainable Committee Appointment 

• Emily Chan

Campus Corner: 

*I update my blog every week or two. If you have announcements that you would like to have promoted through this medium please let me know.

Valerie Harris brought this interesting article to my attention, feel free to enlighten your horizons

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

Making Course Evaluations Results More Accessible to Students

During my campaign for this office, I made a promise that I would work to implement course evaluations reform. This has been one of my primary focuses over the past couple weeks, and it has been a topic on the agendas of my past two predecessors. Here’s what I would like to see changed:

• Course Evaluations data should be in a more prominent and relevant location in academic planning. Ideally, one could immediately see the evaluations and comments for a given professor when looking at their class in the Time Schedule. Additionally, few people actually know that they can see the results of their course evaluations in the Course Evaluation Catalog of MyUW. For example, here are the evaluations for my Math 125 class last year (a pretty fair review). This info needs to be more accessible for students to make the best decisions in choosing courses.
  • There should be an option for Course Evaluations to be given online. This would save the UW a ridiculous amount of paper, and most schools are already moving to this model. This would also make the data easier to analyze and therefore give students better information when looking at the results.

I met with the MyUW redesign team, the Director of the Office of Educational Assessment, and the MyPlan development team, and things are looking good! Provided that we generate the right decision-making support for it, MyPlan, a student-funded project, is on track to bring Course Evaluations Data to the forefront in academic planning. The Office of Educational Assessment will have an online course evaluations pilot running in the Law School next year. Finally, the MyUW team is interested in making course evaluations more closely related to the registration process in the next version.

So what is our role in this process?

Unfortunately, Faculty don’t always support the free distribution and publicizing of course evaluations data, and it will be especially hard to garner support for the release of student comments. I believe that if students come out in strong support of both of these actions, it will make a big difference in University decision-making related to this issue.

As always, feel free to shoot me an e-mail if you have questions or want to get in touch on a specific Administration or Faculty related issue at

Michael Kutz

All Campus Communications

Things have been pretty busy in the Office of Communications these past few weeks. Good news though, we finally have all of our equipment so none of our posters have to be hand anymore, so that’s a plus.

We have been working really hard on keeping our communication with campus as a conversation. In light of this we added a place for students to give feedback onto our campus issues from the all campus e-mails. We have gotten great feed back already.

We also started doing a cool feature on our Facebook every Monday. We are going to be featuring all of our ASUW Employees throughout the year – our first ones were with our Administrative Assistants. Be sure to take a peek on our Facebook. 

Another big project we have going on is re-designing logos for several of our entities to create a more cohesive look of ASUW and revamp some of the old designs that have been around for a while. Luckily our designer Mason Catt has a special knack for logos and branding and he has begun working on a lot of them so keep your eyes out for new branding through ASUW!

As always, LIKE US! and FOLLOW US!

Judicial Committee

These past few weeks have been very busy, as I worked to prepare for the first Judicial Committee meeting, as well as worked to get some of the initial framework for the Elections Policies and Procedures revisions set up, so the Judicial Committee can hit the ground running. The first step I took for this framework was facilitating a conversation with the Board about their opinions on several aspects of elections, including giveaways, candidate-run polling stations, and violations (you can find the entire transcript of this discussion at This discussion will be extremely useful, because in the end, all EPP reforms will have to be passed by the Board, and the Judicial Committee and the Board will have to be on the same page.

I also sent out an elections survey with the all-campus e-mail to gauge where some student opinion lies surrounding the current structure of ASUW elections. So far, there has been 273 responses to this survey, and the Elections Administration Committee (EAC) Chair and myself are very excited about the opportunity these results will provide for us to create elections policies that are not only better for the ASUW, but also for the student body as a whole.

The first Judicial Committee meeting also went very well. This meeting was an orientation, and served as an excellent opportunity for the Committee members and myself to get to know each other, as well as an excellent opportunity for me to present the Board’s election discussion to the Committee. I am working hard to make sure that this years’ EPP is more collaborative than ever, and brings in the perspectives of many student voices, and so far, the response has been very encouraging! If you want to bring your voice to the Judicial Committee, our meetings be taking place year-long on Mondays from 6pm-8pm in HUB 303.

Until next time,

Week 1 – Week 3 (September 24th – October 11th)

Hello Huskies!

This is what I have been working on for the past 2 weeks:

Homecoming Applications!

The homecoming application scholarship has closed however we have a record breaking 90 applicants this year! (Last year 77!) Way to show your Husky Pride awesome dawgs!

2011 – 2012 Homecoming Court!

Homecoming Celebration! 

*Stay tuned for more details but save the date!

October 25th  Thursday 12:30 – 2:30 in the HUB

Apply to the Campus Sustainability Fund!

Application is due October 14th Sunday @ 11:59pm

Forever Loyal with Servant Leadership,

Daniel Nguyen

ASUW Director of Community Relations

Come to ASUW 125 in the HUB and Visit!

Gearing up for Judicial

This past week has been very busy as I begin to prepare for the first Judicial Committee meeting. The first (and most important) step in this process is to appoint a full committee. Judicial Committee is unique in its composition, as members are appointed for two-year terms. Therefore, the Committee has already been partially filled, as Rachel Murata and Mercedes Luna will be returning to fulfill the second half of their terms. The Committee still needs three more members before it is complete, however.

One of the seats will be hopefully be appointed at next Tuesday’s Senate meeting, as nominations for Judicial Committee will be made at tonight’s meeting. The other two slots will be appointed through the open selection process on the Office of Volunteer Opportunities site ( The application will be up until Friday, October 12th.

I am also preparing for the first meeting of Judicial Committee by creating a timeline for the upcoming year. Judicial Committee has very time-sensitive tasks that have strict deadlines (according to our Bylaws!), and the best way we can be a productive and valuable committee is by being prepared and fully aware of all of our responsibilities.

Until next time,

Welcome Home Huskies!

University of Washington Huskies!

Welcome! Bienvenue! Aloha! Benvenuti! Maliu Mai! Bienvenido! Mabuhay!

Congratulations on finishing your first week of classes and I hope you are looking forward to the rest of the quarter. As the ASUW Director of Community Relations I am focusing my efforts on three goals:

• Promoting unity
  • Creating visibility
  • Strengthening safety

If you would like to know more about the details of how I plan to accomplish these goals please visit:

Important things to know:

Homecoming Royalty 2012 -2013!

Each year the UW Alumni Association recognizes 6 exemplary huskies who have shown academic excellence, community engagement, and exude husky spirit by selecting them as Homecoming Royalty. Among the 6, two are chosen to receive a $1000 scholarship check to go toward continuing their efforts in embodying what it means to be a UW Husky. I believe you have what it takes to be this years Homecoming Royalty! APPLY NOW!

Apply here:

Application Deadline: Wednesday October 10th, 11:59 pm

If you have any questions or concerns please email me at: or come visit me in the HUB 121!

Looking forward to meeting you and working together to make the University of Washington a more united community!

Daniel Nguyen

ASUW Director of Community Relations

Diversity Commissions & Requirement

It has already a busy couple of weeks for diversity with the move to the HUB. The new ASUW offices are providing the diversity commission directors a bigger space, a more central location, and lots of new opportunities. Thus far the commissions are planning a voter registration collaboration and several are kicking off new and updated internship programs, so make sure to check out their websites!

I am ready to get to work this year, but one project I am particularly excited about is the Diversity Requirement. Picking up from last year, Michael Kutz, a representative from the Student Diversity Coalition, and myself have already met with the Chair of the Faculty Council on Academic Standards to get the ball rolling. The next step will be the formation of a committee comprised of five students and six faculty members. Three students from the Student Diversity Coalition, the ASUW Director of University Affairs Michael Kutz, and myself will represent students on the committee. Three of the faculty members will come from the Faculty Council on Multicultural Affairs and the other three from the Faculty Council on Academic Standards.  I am very optimistic about working with this committee and what we can accomplish.

That’s all for now, but please feel free to get in contact with me if you have any comments or questions at

Jennifer Gibbons

Back to School! Programming Style

The first week of school has come and gone! I started the year off with a sense of urgency regarding Homecoming 2012. The Homecoming game this year is on October 27th against Oregon State. The target dates for homecoming events are Thursday, October 25th  and Friday, October 26th. The programming committee is formed and meeting this week. Although we only have a month to create the event, I’m confident the event will be both successful and memorable.

Another item I worked on last week was coordinating with the Varsity Theater to have film screenings there in the coming year. Although the theater employees were very receptive to the collaboration, we will not be able to use the Varsity as a venue space for the film screenings. This is because the Varsity Theater is an off-campus public vendor, which restricts us from using funds.

In the coming week, I’ll be reaching out to communities on campus and nailing down some logistics for this year’s homecoming event.

Remember to apply for the Homecoming Scholarship!!! There are 2 $1,000 scholarships for the winners and the entire court gets to go onto century link field for the game!

Posted in Programming | Leave a comment